Saturday, May 24, 2008

"Eating a tomato in January is like eating a waxy sack of nastiness."

That's a quote from one of my co-volunteers. We were discussing how great it is to eat produce when it's in season. I thought it was funny.

So, yesterday was pretty chill, and I took pictures of all of the animals. I had a day off today, and I slept until 9:30, which felt amazing. Then I got up and cleaned the hell out of Hemlock House. Apparently voluteers like to voluteer to tend livestock, plant 12 varieties, and teach children about Peru, but not to maintain their surroundings. Needless to say, I feel much better about living here! Ha, I bet the floors haven't been so clean in a long time. I also found a hammock and ping pong table in the basement, as well as a few bicycles. I can't wait to ressurect any of those.

Kim moved into our room today, and she made coconut maple cookies tonight. So good.

I think I am really going to love my time here. I really love Heifer's mission, and the people here give a damn about what they eat, what they support, and how they intentionally live their lives. I know I am going to learn a lot; I've learned so much this entire week! Tomorrow I'm going to leave and explore Holden and Rutland, and enjoy the lovely weather.

P.S. 6 new lambs today! All cute and lamb-like, and still slightly gooey.

No comments: